An accomplished musician, Vancouver Island-based Tammy
Fassaert has developed into a fine songwriter and compelling performer. Tammy has gone well beyond her original roots in traditional Bluegrass and is now a welcome figure in contemporary folk and acoustic/roots circles as well.
Billboard Magazine dubbed Tammy ?one of the leading figures in Canada’s vibrant West Coast Folk music scene?
?She has grown into a mature and confident singer songwriter and song interpreter? declared the Vancouver Province newspaper.
Tammy has a strong clear unadorned singing style; Victoria Times-Colonist described it as ??the sound of wood smoke and clear mountain streams, ancient echos of folk and country music before the businessmen in designer cowboy boots stole the music.? Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine comments on her musical depth ?she’s incorporated all manner of sophisticated and earthy American musical influences in her into her own superb vocal style.?
With a strong family background in stage performance ,Tammy plays the role of host with ease. She lights up the stage and draws in the audience with her powerful energy and humorous candor. Playing guitar since 8, Tammy adds texture and variety to her lively shows with versatile guitar accompaniment that is by turns rhythmic and punchy or melodic and pretty. Tammy also plays upright bass; she picked it up after university and has become one of the strongest stand-up bassists in the bluegrass/roots genre.
Her 1994 debut CD ?Just Passin? Through? launched her solo career. Bluegrass Canada Magazine says ??she?s done it, right out of the gate. [It] has the maturity, stability and evenness of a fourth or fifth release.?
Tammy’s second solo album ?Corner of My Eye?, released in 2000, includes four brilliant new songs from Tammy, with impressive playing by a cast of luminaries under the keen direction of producer and mandolinist John Reischman. This release has further enhanced an already rich musical pedigree that has seen her perform and record in bands with acoustic music stars such as Laurie Lewis, John Reischman, Sally Van Meter, and Scott Nygaard. Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine wrote: ? ?Set Me Free?, like so many other [of Tammy?s] fine songs here, makes it clear that Tammy Fassaert is the sort of emerging talent who deserves a wider audience as well as closer watching?.
Tammy has earned international acclaim for both recordings, and has performed and toured across North America, Western Europe, Japan, and Taiwan.
Alongside her performance career Tammy has developed an excellent? reputation as a music instructor and numerous workshops around North America teaching teaching singing bass and guitar.
After a hiatus from music to pursue a 20-year career in Medical Laboratory Science, Tammy is back on stage once more, being invited back to perform at concerts and festivals.
- ?Shearwater? by Shearwater Bluegrass Band (with Dave Clark, James Whittall, Adrian Dolan) 2008
- ?Corner of My Eye? byTammy Fassaert, produced by John Reischman TCP 202, 2000
- ?Just Passin? Through? by Tammy Fassaert, produced by Scott Nygaard Strictly Country Records SCR 36 1994, re-released by TamCan Productions TCP 201 1996
- ?Singing My Troubles Away? by Laurie Lewis and Grant Street, Flying Fish Records 515 1989
- ?Early Times?? by Ben Winship, Snake River Records 011-1990
- ?Nowhere to Hide? by Texas Rangers (with Pat Cloud, Jeff White, Dave Peters 1991
- Grand Ol? Opry, Nashville, TN
- Rocky Top Bluegrass Club, Tokyo, Japan
- Vancouver Island Musicfest, Courtenay, BC
- Vancouver Folk Music Festival, Vancouver, BC
- Frostbite Festival Whitehorse, YT
- Nashville Country Club, Barcelona, Spain
- Harbourfront Center, Toronto, ON
- The Yellow Door, Montreal, QC
- California Coast Music Camp, CA
- Puget Sound Guitar Workshop, WA
- BC Bluegrass Workshop ?one of our favourite teachers?
- George Strait Guitar Workshop, BC
- Island Mountain Arts ?Roots and Strings?, BC
Non musical pursuits
- Active Elderdog volunteer,
- GlacierView Lodge volunteer (performing singalongs),
- Helping raise grandson,
- Dog lover,
- Outdoor enthusiast (SUP, hiking, sailing, cycling, kayaking)
- Impatient vegetable gardener.